When you lift the door handle on your GE dishwasher model GSD6600GBB, the handle actuator releases the door latch. A damaged actuator may stop your dishwasher door from opening. Luckily, replacing the latch is a quick and easy repair that should take you no more than an hour or two.
Dishwasher Repair Safety Tips
- Before you start repairing your dishwasher, unplug the appliance and turn off its water supply.
- In order to keep your eyes and hands protected you should wear work gloves and safety goggles while fixing your dishwasher.
- If at some point you don’t feel comfortable continuing the repair, please stop what you’re doing and contact an appliance repair technician to complete the job.
How to Replace the Handle Actuator in Your GE Dishwasher
- Open your dishwasher door and unthread the screws that secure the control panel to the front of the dishwasher.
- Partially close the door, and then, remove the control panel from the dishwasher. Rest the panel on the front of the appliance, and disconnect the ribbon cable that runs between the console and the dishwasher by disengaging its locking tab with a flathead screwdriver.
- Place the control panel face down on a flat surface. Next, remove the metal support bracket from the top of the panel. Then, take out the door handle assembly by releasing the locking tabs securing it to the control panel.
- Now remove the damaged door handle actuator from the door handle assembly. Before throwing out the broken component, take off the actuator spring, and slide it on the new part.
- Snap the new handle actuator into the door handle assembly, and then put the assembly back into the control panel. Next, reattach the metal support bar.
- Take the control panel back to the dishwasher and reconnect the ribbon cable. Once the cable is reattached, rotate the control panel up and push it onto the front of your dishwasher. Then, secure the console by rethreading the screws on the dishwasher’s back panel.
If your dishwasher is malfunctioning and you’re not sure what part is causing the issue, please contact us today, and we’ll be happy to help you.