What do you do when you go to start a new load of laundry, only to find that your top-loading washer isn’t washing your clothes? Instead of replacing the washer, try replacing the agitator dogs! This easy fix will save money, and in most cases, will get you back up and running in no time at all.
Your top-loading washer has agitator dogs located inside the middle spine that spin the clothes, and after time, get stripped and will no longer turn the inside of the machine. This leads to soap and clothes not mixing properly, and the clothes not getting clean. It is a simple, cheap fix, that we will go through with you here.
Before you start any repairs, be sure to unplug your appliance, and check that the outlet is still in working condition with a voltage tester, available at any hardware store.
- Remove the fabric softener cap from the top of the agitator (or middle spine of the washer). You will see a secondary cap underneath it, which you will also need to remove.
- Unscrew the 7/16 bolt that holds the agitator on, and pull the agitator up out of the washer.
- You should be able to pull the two pieces of the agitator apart from one another, revealing small agitator dogs inside of a holder. Replace them with new agitator dogs.
- Once this is finished, push the two pieces of the agitator back together, put it back inside of the washer, and screw it back down with the 7/16 bolt.
- After you have completed this, place the secondary cap, then the fabric softener cap back on.
Be sure to run a small test load before starting up your laundry as normal.
Keep this simple tutorial in mind the next time your washer isn’t acting like it’s normal self, and you may just save yourself a few hundred dollars. If your washer is still acting up after you’ve replaced the agitator dogs, contact us and we’ll come take a look.