Water filters help to keep the water from your fridge or the ice taste good and make it clean. Whirlpool recommends that you replace them every 6 months to ensure they do their jobs properly.
If you need to replace a Whirlpool refrigerator water filter, simply follow our step-by-step instructions in this article. Thankfully, it’s a pretty simple process and doesn’t take long to do.
This guide covers most major models of Whirlpool refrigerators, including:
If you don’t have a replacement water filter already, your first job will be to go and buy the correct filter, or you can order them online from various retailers.
Once you have the correct replacement water filter, you can replace it by following these steps:
Step 1 – Locate Your Water Filter
Depending on what model of Whirlpool refrigerator that you have, it will either be located in the grille at the bottom of your fridge or inside the refrigerator up in the right-hand side back corner. If you’re unsure, check your user manual.
Step 2 – Get Prepared
- To avoid water spilling on the floor it’s a good idea to place a towel down underneath the filter in your fridge or on the floor if it’s located outside of the fridge.
- You should also remove any food or other items out of the fridge so that you can access the water filter and safely remove it.
- If your Whirlpool refrigerator has an ice maker, turn it off while you’re replacing the water filter.
- You may also need to turn the water supply off if your fridge doesn’t automatically turn the water off when you remove the water filter (most newer models of Whirlpool refrigerators have this feature).
- Since you won’t come into contact with any electrical components you don’t need to turn the power off to change the water filter.
Step 3 – Remove the Old Filter
- If the filter is located in the grille, you can remove the filter by pressing down on the button on the left of the filter, and you should then be able to pull the filter out. If your filter doesn’t have a button on it, you can remove it by turning it counterclockwise, and this should release it, and it will come out. Sometimes you need to push it in as you turn it to release it.
- If your model of Whirlpool refrigerator has a filter inside of the fridge, you will first need to remove the cover off it, or in some models, you simply push it up. Once the cover is removed, you simply need to push the button on it and pull it out, or if it doesn’t have a button, push the filter and turn it counterclockwise until it becomes loose and then you can remove it.
- Sometimes the filter can be quite hard to remove; if you’re having trouble, simply press it in harder, and this should loosen it up so that it can come out.
- Hopefully, at this point, you have successfully removed the old filter!
Step 4 – Install the New Filter
- Some models will have a cap on the filter that needs to be removed from the old one and screwed onto the new filter.
- Place the new filter into place, and then, depending on your specific model, you will either have to push it in and turn it clockwise until it is securely in place, or if it has a button, you simply need to click it into place.
- When installing the new filter, always make sure it is placed exactly how the old one was.
- Make sure that you double-check that it is firmly in place to avoid any water leaks occurring.
- You should now have successfully installed your new water filter!
Step 5 – Flush Out the Water
- You need to flush out the water in your refrigerator to get rid of the old, tainted water. According to Whirlpool, you need to drain about 4 gallons of water before you drink the water after you install a new filter.
- Once you have successfully flushed out the water, you can turn the ice maker back on and the water back on if you turned it off. You can now enjoy a fresh glass of water!
- Finally, on some models of Whirlpool refrigerators, there is a water filter button that lights up when the filter needs to be changed. If your fridge has one, you’ll need to press it to reset it.