Although you can still use an oven when the light is not working, it makes cooking much more inconvenient. You can’t check on the progress of your food without opening the door if the bulb isn’t working. Opening the door allows heat to escape and can interfere with the cooking process, which is undesirable. Continue reading to learn how to quickly and easily repair your broken oven light, or replace it if necessary.
Before you begin, make sure you have all of the tools needed to replace your oven light. Nothing is more annoying than getting halfway through a project and realizing you’re missing a critical piece of equipment!
You will need:
- Your oven manual
- A replacement bulb
- A screwdriver
- Newspaper to safely dispose of the old bulb
Identifying the issue
First, make certain that the oven light is the source of the problem. Check that your oven is still connected to a power source and that it is heating up normally. If other oven functions are not working, you may have a larger electrical problem. If everything except the light is working properly, proceed to the next step.
Locate your oven light within your oven
Always ensure that your oven is turned off before beginning any repair work on it. It is also a good idea to ensure that it has completely cooled to room temperature, as working with a hot oven will be unpleasant and difficult.
Next, remove all of the racks and trays from your oven to make access to the bulb easier. The location of the bulb differs according to brand, but they are frequently found on the right or left side of the oven’s top back panel. You can check your oven manual if you are having trouble locating the bulb.
Remove the bulb
Here’s how to remove the bulb once you’ve found it:
- Remove the transparent bulb cover. They can be simply pulled off in some cases, but in some models they are screwed down or attached with metal clips. If yours is screwed down, remove the screws with a screwdriver and store them somewhere safe for future use.
- If you can’t see any screws but are having trouble removing the bulb cover, it could be stuck down with some grease from cooking. In this case, try spraying some detergent mixed with water around the bulb cover and leaving it for a few minutes to dissolve the grease. The cover should then be easy to remove.
- Once you locate the bulb, check whether it appears to be firmly in place. If the bulb appears to be loose, try pushing or screwing it back into place and then testing to see whether the light works. If this has fixed the issue, you can then replace the bulb cover and you will be finished. If not, you will need to replace the bulb.
- Remove the light bulb with care. Some bulbs can be pulled out, while others must be unscrewed. As long as you are careful, you should be able to tell which type of bulb you are dealing with fairly quickly.
- Take precautions if the bulb is cracked or broken. Put the lightbulb in an old newspaper or something similar to safely dispose of it.
- Your oven manual should have the information you need about the type of bulb you will need to purchase, but if you don’t have access to your oven manual, take a closer look at the bulb you have removed. It should have the wattage and other necessary information printed on the glass. If you are still unsure, take the old bulb to a hardware store and they will be able to help you find the correct replacement.
Installing a replacement bulb
After removing the old bulb, replace it with the new one you have purchased, making sure it is properly positioned. Then, before replacing the cover, turn on your oven and check to see if the new bulb is working.
If it isn’t working, it could be due to a problem with the new bulb or a more serious electrical problem with your oven. You will need to either contact an electrician or re-read your user’s manual to determine the source of the problem.
If it is, you can immediately replace the cover. Then replace any shelves or racks that you removed. Your oven will now function properly once more!
How long will the new light last?
Oven bulbs typically have a run time of about 900 hours. How long yours lasts will depend on how often you use your oven, but for a typical user, your new bulb should last for at least a year at the absolute minimum. If you find you are burning through bulbs more frequently than this, you should get an electrician to have a closer look at the wiring as there may be a problem.
Please keep in mind that when removing and replacing your oven light, you should avoid putting too much weight on the open door. Leaning on an open oven door can damage the hinges and prevent the oven from closing properly in the future.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.